Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A couple favorite healthy foods

I really love good food. Most of my favorite foods are sweets laden with lots of fat. You know, chocolate, ice cream, pastries, pizza, cookies, cakes, cheese.
Well, those are my favorites, and as you know, there aren't any substitutes when you really want the good stuff (umm which is in my case all the time), but here are a few healthy things that I like:
Avocado with soy sauce and rice
Take half an avocado and fill the hollow where the pit was with soy sauce. Serve with cooked rice. Yum.

My clone of McDonald's apple walnut salad
Slice and core an apple or two (make it authentic by having slices of green and red apples)
Add a couple handfuls of your favorite seedless grapes
Sprinkle some glazed walnuts over the fruit
Dip in vanilla yogurt (Blue Bunny brand is my favorite).

My super easy basic spaghetti sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1 cube chicken or beef boullion
1 t minced garlic
1T Italian seasoning
a dash of olive oil
a dash or two parmesan cheese
pinch of red pepper flakes

Throw everything except the red pepper flakes in pot and simmer until hot (or longer so flavors meld). Add red pepper flakes near end so they don't make the sauce bitter.

If anyone has any healthy, fast, and tasty recipes, post them! I need all the help I can get!

2 Comments:

At 6:06 AM, Blogger emily pound said...

Hi there,

I'm planning on making 2006 a healthy year too. I have a great recipe, given to me by a personal trainer. I've tried it, and it's great!

Tortilla Pizza
Take two large whole wheat wraps or tortillas (one is not thick enough, just put one on top of the other) and slather a good amount, but not too much, salsa on it. Then load on whatever you want: my favourite is diced chicken breast, zucchini slices, mushrooms and red onions. Grate some light or low-fat cheese over top and put it in the oven, directly on the rack. This way it gets nice and crispy. Put the oven to about 375 and bake it for about 10 minutes. Then take it out when the cheese is all melted and sprinkle a little parmesan over top. Yum yum! :-)

You can make any kind of pizza you want, veggie, add some ground beef, ground turkey, whatever you like. It's really delicious.

 
At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, I want to say that I like your blog, I found it through the Yahoo Group Knitting for Cheap. I'm also looking to get healthier, and am working on losing another 50 lbs.

On to recipes ...

Look for the cookbook Weight Watchers Make it in Minutes at your library. I own a copy of it, and it has some terrific recipes in it. Also Eat, Shrink and Be Merry has great (and fun) recipes in it. I own them both, and haven't regretted it, though I'm not usually big on diet cookbooks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home