Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Concessions

We all know that when we make lifestyle changes we need to make concessions. I guess you can look at it like any other relationship. If you are involved with someone, you need to make compromises and change things and so does the other person (okay the exception are newborns). Maybe if we look at lifestyle change as a relationship, it wouldn't be quite so difficult; then again, maybe that's why it's so hard. We have a hard time relating to the person we should care about more than anyone else... I know it's really hard for me to even consider my needs. I end up trying to make sure everyone else has what they need and then I realize after it's too late that I've been compensating by binging and not taking care of myself.
Anyhow, that's enough psychoanalysis.
Here are a few concessions I'm going to make:
  • Taking time every day to exercise
  • Portion control
  • Eating fruits and veggies
  • Using low-fat/no-fat condiments like mayonnaise
  • Taking the time to cook meals for myself
  • 1% milk, skim if it's the kind that tastes like 2%
  • Waking up a bit earlier to get the bellydance practice in

Here are the things I won't compromise on:

  • Chocolate (especially my glass of hot cocoa in the morning)
  • Cheese (using a bit of sharp cheddar means you use less than some reduced fat cheeses. Besides, it melts better and has a better texture)
  • The occasional pastry (but not daily!)
  • Having fun. What can I say? I have a short attention span and the stuff I do needs to entertain me as well as make me feel good!

What concessions are you making? What are the deal breakers? What are your suggestions for improving your relationship with yourself?

2 Comments:

At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great, practical and encompasing - and not the same old resolutions. (too bad mayo-light tastes so nasty)
Sometimes a simple spark will start the blaze you desire - I hope your blog reaches out to others as well as burning a trail to show you where you've been.

Always the best Diva~Zya

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger darthlaurie said...

Thanks, Diva~Zya!
Strangely, this blog is actually motivating me!
I'm hoping to write or post something on a weekly or, even better, semi-weekly basis.
I hope others will continue to post their suggestions, struggles, rants, etc!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home