Sunday, January 08, 2006

The week in review

I am happy to report that the first week of kicking myself in shape was a success.
I managed to exercise every day, following the original pattern fairly closely. Here are some of the things I've noticed are already happening:
  • The weight training seems to be helping my left shoulder. I fell and hurt it in November, but working with the weights seems to help, although I did overdo it Friday.
  • Monday I only used my 2lb. weights, Wednesday I used the 5lb. weights for part of the workout, Friday I used the 5lb. weights throughout most of the workout, at least on the right side. I dropped down to a 3lb. weight on the left side. I'll continue using 5lb. for the next few months. They're a bit tough!
  • Walking is still tough. Still panting and the small of my back still hurts...but it doesn't start hurting after only a couple hundred feet.
  • Sometime in the middle of the lunge series in the weight training, I find myself going on automatic instead of fighting the need to workout.

The next week (or two) is going to be alot harder. I'll be working around 12 hours most of the week because it's the start of spring semester. The exception will be Friday when I have a job interview later in the day (wish me luck!). I'm half tempted to wake up really, really early to get the weights workout in and get to work by 6-6:30. I think I could do that with the weights since it is a quiet workout and wouldn't disturb the downstairs neighbors. I think Tuesday I'll just stick with a series of sun salutations before I crawl into bed.

As for food issues, yes, they are there. I've eaten a lot of chocolate and junk food. Last night I devoured a fourth a box of crackers and some cheeseball. I was tempted to go for more crackers, but I decided I didn't need anymore. I want a donut really bad, and I'll probably get one sometime this week. I'll probably be eating a lot of junk food this week because it's such a stressful time, but I'll try to get a few healthy options in as well. Chances are dinners will be a bowl of cereal. Once again, food isn't my focus right now. Once I am consistently exercising, then I'll begin to work on getting the food under control. I'm betting that'll be in Mid-February or March. Good habits take a lot longer for me to make than bad habits. That whole saying it takes 21 days to make a habit is a myth. It takes a couple days for a bad habit to take hold and MONTHS for a good habit to even start taking a hold!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home