Thursday, April 06, 2006

Why I Bounce

Okay, so here's a little essay about why I bounce. I've edited it a bit since this isn't an adult only blog....and I have this little tiny issue about consent. Even some adults don't need to know about other aspects of my life:D
Those that know me know that I bounce. Why do I bounce? Well that's a good question I've asked myself during non-bouncy moments. I haven't always been bouncy. I don't even jump rope very well. I virtually never bounced as a kid; not that I can recall, anyhow. I didn't bounce when I was with Kim (my soulmate), although I was in a euphoric state most of the time with Him. Bouncing didn't come around til after He died. As near as I can tell, I started bouncing a little less than a year after Kim died. In fact, a few friends might even remember a time when I when I didn't bounce...if they think hard enough; I know I've had to think about it!
I look at bouncing as a very spiritual aspect of me. Some people sing, some dance, some preach their love of God. I bounce. It seems to start somewhere deep in the earth...some sort of energy burst that enters my feet and then jets through me until I need to bounce. It's a reflection of my joy with life...it's a form of communion with the universe and everything that has formed me into who I am. For the brief moment when my feet don't touch the ground, I am embraced by the universe and all that created me. It's a euphoric, wonderful feeling that that combines spirituality and worship with natural movement, pleasure. Bouncing for me is part of joining the universe and embracing the very essence of life. Life is exuberance and joy and knowledge. Somehow simply bouncing reminds me about why I live and love and feel pain.I notice every so often others will bounce with me. That's an amazing feeling...it's wonderful to feel the ecstatic movement of more than a solitary bounce. I always encourage bouncing. It seems like a childish action; happy kids bounce quite a bit. I love that kid energy and feeling the bounciness that kids take for granted...I don't think they realize what a beautiful, spiritual movement it is and how when they bounce the universe reverberates and answers with passion.
For me bouncing is an integral part of the play process (something adults don't do enough of). When I'm playing, I'm having fun. When I'm having fun, I am grateful for the opportunity to feel pleasure, love, friendship-- a lot of the things I didn't feel very often as a kid. I feel joy and so I bounce. Bouncing brings people together and unites us as a community in a memorable event. We laugh and in our laughter we commune and let others see us as playful humans more than "serious adults."
I tried to fight the nickname Bouncy, but it has stuck and it's obviously appropriate and infinitely more acceptable than Tigger (I'm not the feline sort of person). What's important is my friends have given me that nickname and who am I to object to something that describes a movement that is so fundamental to who I am in the universe?There you have it. The Tao of Bounce by Laurie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home